Improvements Based On Crit + Final Version Of Animation

 After hearing about Simons concerns surrounding our animation, with it being too long and that the final scene looks off, today I decided to improve up this. The most pressing issue was the time in which the animation currently sits at, 3:10, which is 1:10 above the time specified on the brief (2:00). Originally I thought that this would not pose as much of a problem, as it shows that I have gone over and above in order to create an animation. However I now realise that I have been given at time limit and by going past it shows that I have not fully understood the brief. This would not be acceptable if done on a professional production, with a time specified by the client and so why would this be any different. 

My reason for going so far past the time was that I wanted my main contribution to the project to be done to the best of my ability. This lead to me adding in additional actions to Moom in order to better fit the brief of a comedy. This had the effect I wanted, however cause the animation to be far too long. I was then worried if I increase the speed of certain scenes that the animation would become too confusing to follow along with. I also did not want it to lose its comedic timing. However it was useful to hear the critique about the pacing of the animation from Simon himself, as he was the one who requested that the speed increased. This must meant that he was able to understand what was happening, to the point that it felt unnecessarily slow. 

I started the improvement by firstly watching back the animation in Premier Pro and noting down shots which seemed to overstay their welcome. By trimming them down this was an easy time save. I then started to increase the speed of certain scenes in order to save time. After doing this to a few scene, I actually found that the animation looked much better, with actions performed by Moom looking more fluid. This added to the cartoonish actions which increased the comedy making the animation more enjoyable to watch. For some shots I sped up only parts which seemed slow and then spliced it with the original version. After going through the animation I found that I was able to get it all the way down to 2:20, which fits in the 10% stated on the brief. I am really happy that I was able to do this as not only did it improve the quality of the animation, but now I know that my marks will be based on the quality of my work, rather than the fact that the animation is too long. 


I then put the animation back into Audition and moved around all of the sound files to fit what was going on, on screen. This was a long and tedious process however it was worth it in the end to create a better animation. I really feel that the sounds add a lot of character which I was unable to convey solely through the characters actions. 

Another change I made was to the final scene in which Mooms face becomes distorted. Simon felt that this was unnecessary and did not match the rest of the animation, causing it to negatively stand out. I decided to remove it, replacing it with a simpler laugh. 


Final Animation


I am happy with the final version of the animation. 

Comments

Popular Posts